Tag: 2009

Centerpiece – Glue it up

Posted on in Woodworking

After setting for a week in the form, I took the pieces out to glue them up. There was a fair amount of spring-back when I took them out of the form, but the pieces did maintain a slight curve.

I put glue on the pieces and put them back in the form to setup for another week. My hope is that the glue will help the laminations keep more of the curve.

See the pictures below for the glue up process.…

Centerpiece – Starting the build

Posted on in Woodworking

We bought a piece to display as the centerpiece on our dinner table a while back. Due to its size, we decided it needed a little something more to make it stand out, so I came up with an idea for a holder (rendering in images below). The design involves curving a strip of mahogany to hold the piece. In order to curve the wood, I needed to make a steam box to steam the wood for bending. Also, to make the process a bit simpler, instead of using a full 3/4″ thick piece of mahogany, I decided it would be better if I used multiple thinner strips and glue them together for a laminated piece.…

Waiting on Counter

Posted on in Home Improvement, Woodworking

The cabinets are pretty much done and I am waiting on the counter. I selected Ghiblee Granite for the counter material and it is currently being fabricated. I’ll update as soon as I get the counter and then I can start in the bathroom with removing the old cabinets.

Doors are done

Posted on in Home Improvement, Woodworking

I finished putting on the final coats of polyurethane this weekend and was able to install the doors and associated hardware.  Below are some pictures of the cabinets all together.  The drawer fronts are just sitting in the opening because I still have to make the drawers.  Once that is done, I can move on to removing the old cabinets.  Next up is to pick the granite for the counter and make the drawers.

Bathroom Cabinets – Finish Coat

Posted on in Home Improvement, Woodworking

Unfortunately I did not document the process of making these cabinets. However, I am at the final stages of building the new cabinets for our bathroom remodel. Today I finally got enough consecutive days of dry weather and was able to start putting the final coats of polyurethane on the cabinets. Here are some pictures of the cabinets as I prep them for the sprayer. The first pictures are of the tall and lavatory cabinet carcasses, These were made from 3/4″ and 1/2″ maple veneer plywood with solid maple face frames.…

I did Finish it

Posted on in Music

I realize I never finished my series of completing my custom guitar project, Sable. Rest assured, I did finish the project and the guitar has seen some heavy use with my band, DEWar. I have attached some additional pictures of the construction process as well as some of the finished product in use.

Engagement Photos

Posted on | Comments Off on Engagement Photos

This album contains 9 photos