Tag: 2005

Back to Square One

Posted on in Music

After contacting the manufacturer of the John Deere Blitz Black paint, I found out the issue in regards to the paint finish coming out glossy. Apparently, this paint does not like numerous coats. The more coats you build up, the glossier it gets. Therefore, I need to sand my finish back down and start back from the primer coat again.

I used my random orbit sander to take off much of the paint and get a smooth surface for the primer.…

Neck Decal

Posted on in Music

Today I started off by applying the Sable decal to the Truss Rod Cover Plate. I first sanded the polyurethane finish I sprayed on the cover yesterday lightly to get a smooth surface and then trimmed and applied the decal.

Once that was done, I went to pick up another can of the Blitz Black paint. I sanded the guitar lightly and then proceeded to spray 4 more coats of the paint on the body. Well, to my surprise, this application came out somewhat shiny, as well.…

Neck Decal

Posted on in Music

After letting the last coats of paint on the neck cure for about a week, I decided it was time to put the decals I had made on it. Since this is my second custom guitar, I came up with a logo to dub the guitar, Custom 2. A while back when planning this guitar, I looked around on the internet to try and find a source for a decal. After much reading and some posted questions, I came across Decal Connection Inc.

Final Color Finish Cont’d.

Posted on in Music

I let the body and neck setup for a week after spraying the first 6 coats of John Deere Blitz Black paint on them. The first 3 pictures are of the body and neck with these coats after sitting for a week to cure.

Today, I then did a light sanding of the neck and body to smooth out the finish and proceeded to spray 5 additional coats of the Blitz Black. The last pictures are after these final 5 coats were sprayed.…

Final Color Finish

Posted on in Music

After a long break from working on Sable, I was finally able to find some time to get back to it. During the break, the primer had ample time to setup. Before I started to spray the final coats on, I lightly sanded the primer so to have a smooth under-coat for the color finish.

Once the body and neck was sanded, I proceeded to spray 6 coats of the John Deere Blitz Black onto the pieces.

FCB1010 Phantom Power Mod

Posted on in Music, Electronics

I found a phantom-power mod on the Yahoo FCB1010 User Group that allowed the FCB1010 to be powered through the MIDI cable so you did not need the power cable supplied with the FCB1010. I went with option of installing a switch that allowed me to still use the supplied power cable if I so desired. You can download the full instructions for the phantom power mod from the Yahoo User Group.

I started out by taking the back off of the FCB1010 to reveal the circuits.…

Paint Preparation Continued

Posted on in Music

After a few days of not being able to work on the guitar body, today I was finally able to sand the sanding sealer down to a smooth finish.

Once I was done with that, I wiped down the body to get all the dust off of it and started spraying the primer coats on it. With 15 minutes between coats, I was able to get 6 coats of primer on the body and added 2 more coats of primer to the neck headstock, to get its primer coat total to 6, as well.…

Paint Preparation Continued

Posted on in Music

I read up on sanding sealers and decided to go by my local Rockler to pick up some sanding sealer.  I found a product I think I’ll be happy with.  I then proceeded to put 3 coats of sanding sealer on the body with a foam brush.  This sealer went on very thick and should do the job of sealing the grain.

Paint Preparation Continued

Posted on in Music

After leaving the neck and body to set overnight, I checked to see how the primer setup. To my surprise, the grain was showing slightly through the primer on the back of the guitar body. Not too noticeable, but I want the finish on this guitar to be top notch and not look like I sprayed it with some rattle cans in the garage (which is what I am doing ~ LOL).

So after some thinking, I decided to try and fill the grain over the primer with some BONDO.…

Paint Preparation

Posted on in Music

I started preparing the body for paint by first creating a layout for the various controls that I need on the body (1 volume, 1 Fishman Powerchip, 2 push/pull tones, 3-way switch, and ON-OFF-ON switch). I scanned in an outline of the body and control cavity and used AutoCAD to layout my controls.

Once the layout was set, I printed it out and taped it to the guitar body. I then used a nail-set to mark the control holes for drilling.…