Projects:Woodworking
Filter Posts by Tag(s)

Console – Complete – Part 5 of 5

Posted on in Woodworking

It was a long road from concept to completion.  There were many delays due to illness, hot weather, and life in general.  But I have to say, this has to be one of my favorite pieces I have completed.  I couldn’t use paint to help hide “mistakes”.  I needed to take my time and be careful.  So maybe the length of time worked in my favor.  I didn’t rush and the results make me proud.

Now we only need some pieces to display!…

Console – Finish – Part 4 of 5

Posted on in Woodworking

The finish for the console was decided by default due to the chosen for the dining table.  I know I didn’t want to use a water-based polyurethane. A finish I have used several times in the past, but it does not have the look I was going for.  Back out to the world-wide-web to investigate finish options.  

I came across a series of videos and blog post by Ask Woodman showing the application of Waterlox.  I decided to use this way back in the concept stages and even got samples of Waterlox to test out.  …

Console – Assembly – Part 3 of 5

Posted on in Woodworking

Once again, I failed to document the next step with photos.  The design is very clean and minimal.  I did not want fasteners or hinges visible.  So I went back out to the great, wide yonder known as the internet to find an invisible hinge.  I really did not want to use european hinges, but was beginning to think I would have to until I stumbled across the soss hinge.  And, I was able to get it in black!…

Console – The Build – Part 2 of 5

Posted on in Woodworking

Not much progress was made on the console this year since I primarily focused on the dining table with my free time.  However, I was able to get back to it after taking a break from the dining table.

After some runs through the planer to get all the various pieces to consistent and matching depths, I proceeded with getting the legs cut.  In order to do this, I had to prepare a couple of jigs that allowed me to cut the angles on the legs with the band saw.  …

Console – The Beginning – Part 1 of 5

Posted on in Woodworking

It begins with an idea.  We had decided we wanted  a console in our entry area.  We wanted it to display art and.  So I set out exploring different ideas for inspiration.  Once I settled on a couple, I developed some concept renderings to merge the various sources of inspiration.

In hindsight, the curved leg version was not my best idea, but, for whatever reason at the time, I thought it was interesting and offered its own set of construction challenges.  …

Wall Mirror

Posted on in Woodworking

A while back, I came up with a couple design concepts of a wall mirror frame for the art niche above our fireplace. Originally I envisioned that the mirror would be made out of Koa.  After sleeping on the idea for the first concept, I considered it to be too symmetrical and boring.  So I revisited it and came up with a seemingly random, radial pattern of various thicknesses (1/2″, 3/4″, and 1″). The concept was to not have two slivers adjacent to each other the same thickness or length.  …

Arya’s Dresser (Complete)

Posted on in Woodworking

As time approaches to Arya’s due date, I am spending a lot of my free time in the garage trying to get the dresser complete before her arrival.

I begin the next phase by doing my least favorite, but very necessary part of woodworking, the sanding.  Once I had everything sanded and smoothed out, I moved onto the painting stage.  After I masked off the cabinet interior , due to it already having the polyurethane finish, I applied the primer coat to the entire assembly. …

Arya’s Nightstand

Posted on in Woodworking

During Arya’s Dresser Project, I realized her nursery needed another piece of furniture, a nightstand.  Once again, the options out there just cost too much, so I came up with a quick, simple design that added design elements from the crib so it would match that and the dresser.

I got the poplar lumber needed for the nightstand from my local big box store and started to cut it down for the components.  For the legs, I needed thicker material than what was available, so I laminated two smaller boards together with glue to get the thickness wanted.…

Arya’s Dresser (Part 2)

Posted on in Woodworking

Once all of the components were cut, I moved into the assembly phase of the dresser project.

I started by assembling and gluing the main body carcass as well as the top drawer carcass.  In order to get a smooth interior finish on the cabinet, prior to assembly, I coated the components of the cabinet with 3 coats of water-based polyurethane.

Arya’s Dresser (Part 1)

Posted on in Woodworking

I had no interest in making Arya’s crib, for several reasons, we ended up purchasing the Larkin Fixed Gate 4-in-1 Crib from Pottery Barn Kids.  While at the store, we saw a matching dresser that we liked, but didn’t like the price.  So, I decided it was time to dust off the table saw and make a matching dresser, myself.

In December, 2012, I  visited my favorite lumber yard, Mason’s Mill and Lumber Co., to get all of the wood supplies for the dresser after I drew up the design.…