Projects:Home Improvement
Filter Posts by Tag(s)

Arya’s Nursery (Complete)

Posted on in Home Improvement

Now that Arya is home and things have settled down a bit, I was finally able to complete her Nursery Tree Mural as I had intended.  The original concept was to have her initials appear as if they were carved into the tree along with a date for when they are carved.  The date being her birth date.

I started with editing my Adobe Illustrator file to reflect her birth date and then printing it to act as a template to create a mask for applying the paint to the tree.  …

Arya’s Nursery (Part 2)

Posted on in Home Improvement

Numerous lessons learned on the next phase of painting the mural for Arya’s nursery including needing to read the directions and reviews on glitter paint, white on yellow is not a good combination, don’t change what works, frisket is not the best stencil material for a rough-textured wall unless you trim it in place, you should not reuse frisket for multiple colors, and not trusting my ability with artistic paint brushes.

In order to give the butterflies a little sparkle, Gladys and I settled on the line of Martha Stewart Living glitter paints for the butterflies that would circle the tree completed in my previous post.  …

Arya’s Nursery (Part 1)

Posted on in Home Improvement

Those who know me, know that I don’t ever do things the easy way.  Well, you can image with the excitement building to welcome our baby girl into the world, I started imagining ideas for the nursery.  I saw some pictures online of murals that included trees which got my mind going.  Apparently, there are vinyl appliques that one can buy, but none of them seemed to have what I was looking for.  Then I looked at painted murals people had done and all of them seemed either too real or too “childish” for my tastes.  …

Bathroom Complete

Posted on in Home Improvement, Woodworking

Tonight I installed the last item to complete our bathroom remodel, the shower rod. I would have finished the bathroom a couple weeks ago, but I did not order enough wallpaper and had to order another roll (FOR 6 WHOLE INCHES) to complete it.

But now it is done and we are quite happy with how it turned out. Below are some shots of the finished project. Due to the confined space, it is hard to get some good shots of the bathroom, but hopefully you can get the idea from the pictures.…

Cabinets Installed

Posted on in Home Improvement, Woodworking

Today I was able to get the cabinet installed. I still have some plumbing hookups to do (missing some parts) and still have to install the toe kick.

We also ordered new wallpaper, towel rods, and light fixture. Once I get that all installed, our bathroom renovation will be complete.

Deconstruction/Reconstruction

Posted on in Home Improvement, Woodworking

I have moved onto removing the tile backsplash and build-back of the portion of the wall that gets removed in the process.

Demolition Begins

Posted on in Home Improvement, Woodworking

Last night, I began the demolition process of my existing bathroom cabinet. For the most part, the process went a lot smoother than I anticipated. I was able to get the cabinet completely demolished in less than an hour. Next up will be to remove the tile backsplash.

Counter Reveal

Posted on in Home Improvement, Woodworking

I got the Ghibli Granite Counter for my new bathroom cabinet a couple months back, but due to the holiday, just now had the chance to do some final touches work on the cabinet.

Today, I cut and applied the reveal spacer for the top of the cabinet and painted the reveal black. The pictures below document the process.

Waiting on Counter

Posted on in Home Improvement, Woodworking

The cabinets are pretty much done and I am waiting on the counter. I selected Ghiblee Granite for the counter material and it is currently being fabricated. I’ll update as soon as I get the counter and then I can start in the bathroom with removing the old cabinets.

Doors are done

Posted on in Home Improvement, Woodworking

I finished putting on the final coats of polyurethane this weekend and was able to install the doors and associated hardware.  Below are some pictures of the cabinets all together.  The drawer fronts are just sitting in the opening because I still have to make the drawers.  Once that is done, I can move on to removing the old cabinets.  Next up is to pick the granite for the counter and make the drawers.