I actually completed the finish of the base prior fabricating the tabletop, but I wanted to document the entire finish process in one post.
Details regarding the finish process are identical to the ones for the console. I started by first putting on the black-tea wash to introduce the required tannins for the next step as well as to raise the grain. After the grained was raised, I did a quick sand to get the surface back smooth.
After the tea, I applied the iron acetate and let it darken the wood prior to the application of the dye. Once all that was complete, I applied the final finish of shellac followed by Sutherland Welles Murdoch’s Hard Sealer and Murdoch’s Table Top.
Next was the tabletop. the same steps applied.
With some help of a friendly neighbor, I relocated the tabletop from my garage to the dining room to mate it with the completed base. I am pretty pleased with how the table turned out. And no, I don’t do chairs! Those have been ordered and will be here soon so we can enjoy the table.
Now onto the next one…