Dining Table – Top – Part 3 of 4

Since the tabletop would end up being 120″ x 42″, I had to plan out how I was going to glue it up.  I started out by glueing the pieces end to end to get to the length required.  Once these were done, I trued-up the widths on the table saw.

With each long length ready, I decided to work my way up to the entire width.  I started by gluing in pairs subsequent lengths.  With these all together, I then set up to glue the entire top together.  For the most part, this was a success.  However, I had some instances of misalignment due to not being careful with my biscuit-slot cuts.  Some aggressive sanding after-the-fact would help solve those.

After the tabletop was sanded, I moved on to building up the edges.  The design called for the trimmed edges o be flipped along the cutline so that the grain would read as a mirror of the other.  I started by trimming to length and then to width.  I then cut a series of biscuit slots along the edge to help with alignment and clamped the edges for glue-up.

With the edges glued-up, I moved on to rounding over the corners and edges.  Then, in order to align the top properly with the base, flipped the top over so I could accurately mark the locations of the built-up cross pieces to properly align with the base cross rails.  

You will notice that base already has the final finish on it in the following picture.  I had actually completed the finish-out of the base prior to fabricating the tabletop.  The finish-out of the entire table is detailed in the subsequent post in this series.

After all of this complete, I performed the final sanding (which is not easy for a 10′ table!) and got it ready for the finish.

You can see the steps involved to complete the table in Part 4.

SaveSave