Arya’s Nightstand

During Arya’s Dresser Project, I realized her nursery needed another piece of furniture, a nightstand.  Once again, the options out there just cost too much, so I came up with a quick, simple design that added design elements from the crib so it would match that and the dresser.

I got the poplar lumber needed for the nightstand from my local big box store and started to cut it down for the components.  For the legs, I needed thicker material than what was available, so I laminated two smaller boards together with glue to get the thickness wanted.

With the components cut, I began assembly of the nigh stand by first gluing the sides together and then attaching them together with the front and bottom shelf. 

For the drawer, I decided to use wood runners coated with wax for the slide.  I protected the drawer components with a few coats of amber shellac.  I then proceeded to cut the dovetails and assemble the drawer.

The body received the same finish as the dresser.  Once the finish was applied, I assembled the final unit and installed the drawer pull.